Re: question about user access to tables

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:27:06 -0700 (PDT)

Comments embedded.

On Aug 3, 11:28 am, Jonathan Schilling <jlselsewh..._at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> I have a situation that's stumping me for some reason.
>
> I have an Oracle 9i system, with a database called abcweb.
>
> One user of it, called abcuser, accesses it via something like
> "sqlplus abcuser_at_abcweb_dev.WORLD/pswd1", with ORACLE_SID=abcweb.
> They see all the tables in the database, per the
> "select owner, table_name from all_tables;" command; the tables
> are all owned by the ABCADM account.

This user probably should have such access.

> Another user of it, called defuser, accesses it via something like
> "sqlplus defuser_at_abcweb_dev.WORLD/pswd2", with the same ORACLE_SID.
> They see only some of the tables in the database that the
> first user sees, again per the
> "select owner, table_name from all_tables;" command; the tables
> they do see are also owned by the ABCADM account.

There MAY be some valid reason why defuser does not possess the same access as abcuser; possibly you should consult the documentation for the application before you go changing any privileges.

> I want to make it so that the second user, defuser, can see the same
> tables that the first user abcuser sees.

That may not be how this particular user account is to be configured. Have you read the product documentation on proper setup?

> How do I do this?  What
> table
> or tool or command controls this?  (Obviously, I didn't set up this
> arrangement, and don't have deep Oracle knowledge.)

Then possibly you should leave it alone until those who did set this up can be consulted?

> I've searched and looked at a bunch of things, but none of them
> really address this ... I must be missing something simple ... thanks
> for any help.

It isn't rocket science but without knowing HOW these accounts are intended to be configured it's probably best to leave well enough alone until you find out more details.

> Jonathan Schilling

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Aug 03 2009 - 15:27:06 CDT

Original text of this message