Re: External Tables

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 13:07:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 30, 9:30 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 8:14 am, The Magnet <a..._at_unsu.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 30, 1:02 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> > > Did you try?
>
> > > -----------
> > > Sybrand Bakker
> > > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> > Did try and did not get it to work.  So, thought there might be some
> > convoluted way of doing it.  I mean, if a company has 300 external
> > table definitions, it would be meaningless if  you cannot re-import
> > those definitions.....and have to re-create those tables again...- Hide quoted text -

> External tables are built upon flat files and neither exp nor expdp
> export such files.  Exporting the definitions, then, would be a
> useless undertaking.  This is why one uses scripts to create such
> objects, so they can be recreated in another database (or in this same
> database) provided the source files exist.  It should not be a major
> effort to run a series of scripts to recreate such tables.
>
> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

The definitions for extenal tables and directorys export and import; however, the definitions may need repair if the file system does not match what was specified in the definitions.

UT1 > select owner, table_name from dba_external_tables;

OWNER                          TABLE_NAME
MPOWEL01                       LOADTEXT2

From an export log
<snip>
 exporting sequence numbers
. exporting directory aliases
. exporting context namespaces
<snip>
. . exporting table INV_PRICE_HEADER 0 rows exported
. . exporting table
LOADTEXT2

. . exporting table                       MARKEST2          3 rows
exported
<snip>
-- notice no row count

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jul 30 2009 - 15:07:21 CDT

Original text of this message