Why is a REFERENCES privilege required? And is it "better" to create FK relationship only between tables in the same schema?

From: dana <dana_at_work_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:37:01 -0700 (PDT)

Not too long ago, I needed to create a FK relationship from a table in my schema to a table in another schema on the same database instance. I learned that I needed to be granted the REFERENCES privilege on the "remote" table.

Why are things set-up this way? And is it ill-advised to be creating FK relationships to tables in "remote" schemas? If so, why? Should FK relationships only be established between tables in the same schema.

I don't have an agenda here other than trying to learn some Best Practices in this regard. And I'm curious about why things are as they are regarding the pre-condition of a REFERENCES grant.

Thanks.

Dana Received on Tue Jul 14 2009 - 06:37:01 CDT

Original text of this message