Re: setting v$session.program?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 15:27:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 9, 12:59 pm, m..._at_pixar.com wrote:
> sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> > On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:09:10 GMT, m..._at_pixar.com wrote:
> > >It's currently the name of the interpreter executable,
> > >and I want to change it to the "real" name of my program.
>
> > Why on earth?
>
> They are python programs, which are run by the
> python interpreter.  So instead of seeing program
> names like "update_users.py" or "nightly_cleanup.py"
> oracle shows "python.exe" for all programs.
>
> --
> Mark Harrison
> Pixar Animation Studios

I don't remember how, but there are things on the net like http://www.uofr.net/~greg/processname.html and http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-February/069667.html (I was looking for a simple wrapper from way back I'm sure I've seen, but couldn't find it with a quick search).

It can vary significantly by OS, and even depending on which calls or programs are used to look. Don't know how variable Oracle is, but these things tend to use the local variants, as Oracle has to ask the OS or "trust" a client.

I'm kinda wondering what would happen if you created links of the various names you want, pointing at python (or copying/renaming if you don't have links). Only if you have just a few, of course. More info google on spoofing oracle.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Great Wall of Los Angeles http://www.sparcmurals.org/sparcone/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=60