Re: symbolic ORA-XXXX names and classes of such

From: <mh_at_pixar.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:05:50 GMT

joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote:
> find $ORACLE_HOME -name *msg

Ah, this is great... thanks!

> Metalink and some other web sites like http://www.ora-error.com/ have
> the generic definitions also. Metalink may have some troubleshooting
> type docs, search for troubleshooting taf, troubleshooting sql
> oracle~net, etc. There's just so many obscure things that rarely
> happen...

Well here's my contribution to the state of the art:

These are the various connection errors I'm able to reproduce while bouncing nodes and bringing instances in and out of service, and that are worth retrying. This is in contrast to errors such as "ORA-01017: invalid username/password", which will probably not be fixed by sleeping and retrying but should be directed to a human being for checking.

# ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress
# ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed
# ORA-12528: TNS:listener: all appropriate instances are blocking
# ORA-12521: TNS:listener does not currently know of instance
# ORA-12520: TNS:listener could not find available handler for

Thanks!
Mark

--
Mark Harrison