Re: Creating functions: IS vs AS

From: Álvaro G. Vicario <alvaro.NOSPAMTHANX_at_demogracia.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 17:07:39 +0200

Laurenz Albe escribió:
> 翼varo G. Vicario wrote:
>> I'm writing my first Oracle function (following the CREATE FUNCTION reference [1]) but I can't figure out what's the difference
>> between IS and AS. This is what manual has to say about it:
>>

>> IS | AS Clause
>>
>> Use the appropriate part of this clause to declare the body of the function.
>>

>> Any clue about what's appropriate? All I know is that IS works for me and AS doesn't, but I'd like to know their purpose.
>>
>> I'm running Oracle 10g XE.

> IS and AS should be synonymous; it shouldn't matter which one you use.
>
> What is the statement you use for defining the function,
> and what error message do you get?

You are right: I've replaced IS with AS in the functions I've already finished and they still compile.

My errors were all "PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol WHATEVER". Most likely, I happened to change something else when I first tested and I mistakenly blamed the "AS" keyword.

Thanks a lot for the tip.

--
-- http://alvaro.es - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
-- Mi sitio sobre programación web: http://borrame.com