Convert MSDATASHAPE to Oracle?

From: Spiggy Topes <>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 11:45:03 -0700 (PDT)

Any historians out there? I suspect I may need one...

I have an application written in VB6 that uses Microsoft's MSDATASHAPE provider to return a hierarchical data structure. The application uses a bound Infragistics tool from way back to present this structure in a handy expandable / collapsible hierarchical format.

I recently converted all the LONGs in the database to BLOBs (which was fun, as they were LONGs, not LONG RAWs, but did contain binary data - thanks to all those who helped me with that problem!)

Trouble is, the Microsoft provider is antique, and doesn't provide support for LOBs. Its support for LONGs was apparently rather flaky, in that it let us put binary data into a non-binary field, but LOBs it just don't do.

As far as I can determine, there is no equivalent to this "shaped" structure in Oracle. Which leaves me with choices. I either redevelop the part of the app without using the hierarchical control, I find a replacement for that control, or I find some way to achieve the same hierarchical dataset using Oracle drivers.

Is there anything in the Oracle toolbox that would fill this role? Received on Tue May 26 2009 - 13:45:03 CDT

Original text of this message