Re: question about stacking function calls in a where clause

From: Larry W. Virden <lvirden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:11:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 27, 9:36 am, Ed Prochak <edproc..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 7:42 am, "Larry W. Virden" <lvir..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So I tried
> > ( (upper(table1.last_name,'''','_') not like table2.last_name)not like table2.last_name)
>
> > but I do not see any difference in the items returned.
>
> > Is there some other techniques needed for this type of thing?
>
> Are you replacing apostrophe '  with underscore _ ?

duh - your comment just made me wake up here. I have the arguments in the where clause backwards - I want
(table2.last_name not like (upper(table1.last_name,'''','_'))

Sigh - sorry about that. I just ran a quick test and getting things in the right order fixed my select up. Thank you!

> And since you really are going one for one, the TRANSLATE function
> might work as well (or as poorly).

I was using replace because in the web page of info, the "r" came before the "t" <blush>

Well, it seems to be working nicely now.

Thanks for all your help! Received on Fri Mar 27 2009 - 10:11:43 CDT

Original text of this message