Re: question about stacking function calls in a where clause

From: Ed Prochak <>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 06:48:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 27, 7:42 am, "Larry W. Virden" <> wrote:
> I have a situation where I'm trying to compare information in two
> different columns in a where clause. The information in question are
> last names.

A couple other comments:

> The where expression I am trying to get to work is
> (upper(table1.last_name,'''','_') not like table2.last_name)

UPPER() takes only one argument. This can't work. You should have gotten an error.

> Is there some other techniques needed for this type of thing?

last thought: white space
Is there trailing white space on either name? Does the table2 'O MALLEY' value have one or two spaces between the O and the M??

Ed Received on Fri Mar 27 2009 - 08:48:45 CDT

Original text of this message