Re: similarity of names

From: Paulie <linehan.paul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 05:36:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 17, 3:05 pm, Norbert Winkler <norbert.winkl..._at_gmx.de> wrote:

> It's right - I'd prefer a version with implemented regular expression or
> the Levensthein-algorith. But I'm only a user.
> And the others like "never touch a running system" ....

"Why bother abolishing slavery - it's worked for thousands of years?"

;-)

Well, Norbert, do you have the source code to the application that you're running?

If you do, why not put in a shadow column "search_name" , capitalise everything in it, and when users put in an umlaut, convert it to AE before inserting?

Then, when searching, if the user inputs an umlaut, change the search string accordingly and search against search_name.

I did this once with Irish names -

NAME              SEARCH_NAME
McGuire           MACGUIRE
MCGuire          MACGUIRE
MacGuire        MACGUIRE
MACGuire       MACGUIRE
MaCGuire       MACGUIRE
MaGuire         MACGUIRE

Helps eliminate different/mistaken spellings.

Help?

Paul...