Re: similarity of names

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:28:29 -0500

Norbert Winkler wrote:
> Am Mon, 9 Mar 2009 07:52:48 -0700 (PDT) schrieb fransh_at_hotmail.com:
>
>> UTL_MATCH

> Thanks for advising to this, the "Levenshtein Distance" is IMHO the best
> solution for similarity, I did'nt know that it exists in Oracle.
>
> And in
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/books/pdfs/expert%20oracle%20pl_sql%20ch%201.pdf
> I see it's the well known algorithm they iterate in PL/SQL.
> So I could give it a try to compare the speed of replace(replace(..
> by a PL/SQL-cylce.
>
> btw.
> TRANSLATE() isn't a solution because I want to change German Umlaut Ä -->
> AE (1 char into 2 chars)

Norbert, I see in your sig:
"Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0 64Bit"

isn't it about time to upgrade. Now that Oracle is no longer back porting security patches to this version, it should be considered for your critical systems. Received on Thu Mar 12 2009 - 20:28:29 CDT

Original text of this message