Re: Query for specific procedure's source code

From: Adam Cameron <>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:05:07 +0000

>> Check out:
>> Summary of DBMS_METADATA Subprograms

>> search for "procedure" on that page...
> Cheers for your response, Michael: I'll look into the link you metioned.

Hey, cheers again Michael. I didn't know about DBMS_METADATA, and whilst I don't think it's going to be much more use to me for my current issue than just querying USER_SOURCE, I can see how it will be useful for other things in future.

For my current situation, DBMS_METADATA doesn't have any greater granularity than USER_SOURCE, unfortunately. One can extract the code from a whole package, but one cannot dig down into it (without DIY). One can use an OBJECT_TYPE of "PROCEDURE", but that only refers to stand-alone procs, just like USER_SOURCE does. I tried to pass it object_type "PROCEDURE" and a name of "mypkg.myproc" but it barfed at that.

Not to worry.