Re: SQL Statement

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:42:51 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 24, 3:28 pm, mrdjmag..._at_aol.com wrote:
> On Feb 24, 3:20 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 24, 3:10 pm, mrdjmag..._at_aol.com wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
>
> > > Can you have a select statement that returns a literal AND normal
> > > query results without a UNION?
>
> > > Say I have a parameter, like and employee ID, passed to a procedure.
> > > I want to run a query which returns the top 4 records in the result
> > > set PLUS the values from the employee ID passed in.......So, 5 records
> > > total.
>
> > > The query is long, so I'm hoping to do it without a UNION.......
>
> > > Much Thanks
>
> > Provide an example of the output you want to see, as well as the table
> > definition and some sample data.
>
> > David Fitzjarrell
>
> The other way, is to possibly run a query that would return only the 4
> employee ID's, excluding the one passed in, and then create the
> dynamic query string using an IN clause, with the 4 from the previous
> query plus the one passed in.....
>
> That would work.- Hide quoted text -

You've provided a minimal example and no table definitions nor sample data with which to work, and you expect a query to be magically written to solve your issue. A basic stab will involve UNION unless you will provide table DDL and data, so, seriously, if you want assistance with this provide us the tools requested to begin the task.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Feb 24 2009 - 15:42:51 CST

Original text of this message