Re: XML help

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:19:35 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 6, 9:53 am, "NavEEd" <naveed..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in a bit of a pickle with an XML problem I'm having and I can't seem to
> find any sensible answers anywhere.
>
> Below is a sample of the XML that I have to work with.  (I filtered out some
> of the fields, the Items actually have about 30 elements.
>
> I need to split this into 3 tables relationally.  ORDER table, PACKAGE
> table, ADDRESS table and PACKAGE_ITEMS table.  I'm having a hard time
> figuring out how to load this in sensibly.  I have no real experience with
> XML, or Java, however I'm painted into a corner here having to load this in.
> I thought about just looping through the XML file and pulling out the keys,
> but I've a feeling that there's something better out there.  If you could
> provide any leads or advice I'd be HUGELY appreciative and perhaps even name
> my first child after you.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" standalone='yes'?>
> <Order>
>   <orderReference/>
>   <orderNumber>2222</orderNumber>
>   <orderUserNumber>333</orderUserNumber>
>   <comments/>
>   <packages>
>     <package>
>       <packageIndex/>
>       <packageWarehouse/>
>       <packageWeight/>
>       <packageShippingMethod>standard</packageShippingMethod>
>       <packageCarrierMethod/>
>       <address>
>         <firstName>John </firstName>
>         <middleName/>
>         <lastName>Doe</lastName>
>       </address>
>       <items>
>         <item>
>           <itemSku>123456</itemSku>
>           <itemQuantity>1</itemQuantity>
>         </item>
>         <item>
>           <itemSku>123456</itemSku>
>           <itemQuantity>1</itemQuantity>
>         </item>
>       </items>
>       <packagePaymentStatus/>
>       <packagePaidAmount>0</packagePaidAmount>
>     </package>
>   </packages>
>   <extendedFields/>
> </vendaOrder>

What version of Oracle? Oracle provides, depending on release, several XML related handing features.

Try looking into dbms_xmlparser, dbms_xmlstore, etc ...

For version 9.2 see Supplied PL/SQL Packages and Type manual on 10g see PL/SQL Packages and Type manual. Manual name varies slightly by release.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Feb 06 2009 - 09:19:35 CST

Original text of this message