Re: Oracle EM and PL/SQL developer unable to connect to DB

From: yanamandra <venu.yanamandra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 06:47:51 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 1, 7:20 pm, Ora_DBA <sanjaydharmadhik..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 3:39 am, yanamandra <venu.yanaman..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I also made sure that the ports on the linux machine ( 1158 and 1521 )
> > > are open.
>
> > > When I use TNSPing command from my PC, it returns an error.
>
> > > C:\Documents and Settings\sdharmadhik2>tnsping asndb
>
> > > TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
> > > on 31-JAN-
> > > 009 10:52:18
>
> > > Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> > > Used parameter files:
> > > C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
>
> > > Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
> > > Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST
> > > = EBEST-1.
> > > wbc.csi.com)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> > > (SERVICE_NA
> > > E = asndb)))
> > > TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error- Hide quoted text -

> > if you are sure that the EM server is listening, make sure the clients
> > can connect to the ports on the server too. use the command: "telnet
> > <SERVER_IP_OR_NODE_NAME> <PORT_NUMBER> " to see if you are able to
> > connect from the client. check your sqlnet file to see if there is any
> > domain name restriction set in your installation. check if the
> > tnsnames.ora has the correct SID that matches the GLOBAL_DBNAME in the
> > listener.ora file on the server.
>
> > let us know what you find out!- Hide quoted text -

> Tried to connect to the port using telnet. It failed.

login to the server box and perform the telnet operation there. If it does not connect then the service is not started. Else, it could be a firewall (either on the Linux box or the Windows box) that is preventing this connect operation. to disable the firewall temporarily on the linux box do this: type "setup" on the command prompt as the root user. Go to 'firewall configuration' and select disabled. Now, restart the network on that box using: "service network restart". try again from the windows box. also, disable the firewall on the windows box or add the port exception to your firewall.

another good command to help you verify that the port is open or not is: "netstat -a | grep <PORTNUMBER>" on the server box.

hope this helps.

this way we can be sure that the outside world is able to communicate to this box.