Re: Oracle EM and PL/SQL developer unable to connect to DB

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:25:33 -0600

Shakespeare wrote:
> Ora_DBA schreef:

>> On Jan 31, 10:34 am, Ora_DBA <sanjaydharmadhik..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I installed Oracle 10gR2 on Linux machine (CentOS Release 5). This
>>> machine uses DHCP protocol.
>>>
>>> I can't use EM from my PC to connect to the database.
>>>
>>> I made sure that the Entrprise Manager is up and running on the Linux
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> emctl status dbconsole
>>>
>>> TZ set to US/Eastern
>>> Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Database Control Release 10.2.0.1.0
>>> Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>> Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g is running.
>>>
>>> Dropped and recreated EM repository using emca deconfig/config
>>> commands.
>>>
>>> Unlocked the syman account.
>>>
>>> Edited the entries in emoms.properties for the encrypted password.
>>>
>>> Stopped and restarted EM using emctl start/stop dbconsole command.
>>>
>>> But still the EM can't connect to the DB.
>>>
>>> I understand that this problem could be DHCP related. If so, is there
>>> a work-around?
>>>
>>> Also, I can not connect to the DB on the Linux machine using PL/SQL
>>> developer on my PC. I get ORA-12560 TNS Protocol adapter error.
>>>
>>> I made sure that the entry in my tnsnames.ora file on the PC is same
>>> as the one in the tnsnames.ora file on the Linux machine. On Linux
>>> machine, I can connect to the DB using SQLPlus.
>>>
>>> I stopped and restarted the listener on the linix machine.
>>>
>>> What else should I check?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> I also made sure that the ports on the linux machine ( 1158 and 1521 )
>> are open.
>>
>> When I use TNSPing command from my PC, it returns an error.
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\sdharmadhik2>tnsping asndb
>>
>> TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
>> on 31-JAN-
>> 009 10:52:18
>>
>> Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.
>>
>> Used parameter files:
>> C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
>>

>> Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
>> Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST
>> = EBEST-1.
>> wbc.csi.com)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED)
>> (SERVICE_NA
>> E = asndb)))
>> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>
> Don't use DHCP, or configure a virtual fixed ip-address on your network
> device and install using that address by putting it on top in your
> host-file.
>
> Shakespeare

Agreed. DHCP is for clients - if you NEED to know where your box is (ie a server!) - use a static address on your local net. If you are going to be a decent DBA, you really need to understand all aspects of a system - that includes the system/cpu/memory usage and configuration, SAN, network AND database layers. And then - you will need to also understand (to some degree at least) the application and how it uses the database. Received on Sat Jan 31 2009 - 20:25:33 CST

Original text of this message