Re: Oracle 10gR2 Installation on RedHat Linux 5

From: Maxim <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:27:56 -0800 (PST)

On 29 Jan., 02:14, Ora_DBA <sanjaydharmadhik..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2:12 pm, Maxim Demenko <mdeme..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ora_DBA schrieb:

> > > Yes, I checked the Linux installation wizard site. Everything looks
> > > fine as far as Kernel parameters and the overall setup is concerned.
>
> > > Thanks.
>
> > Still it is not quite clear, at which step the database setup hang.
> > As already mentioned by Robert, in general Oracle 10g setup on Cent OS
> > 5.2 runs smoothly, so you have probably, at some place, done settings,
> > which don't conform with Oracle requirements. If i would troubleshoot
> > such kind of problem, i would probably first consult all generated log
> > files and then recheck the most common pitfalls, such as
> > 1) verify , all required packages are installed
> > 2) network settings ( no dhcp, no IPv6, hostname resolved in /etc/hosts)
> > 3) kernel parameters and security parameters ( selinux disabled, right
> > values in limits.conf)
>
> > Best regards
>
> > Maxim- Hide quoted text -

> It hangs while running DBCA to create starter database with sample
> schemas.
>
> I will check all the parameters, packages and network settings.
>
> Thanks.

Well, that may be the issue. I have just generated the scripts for custom database creation with sample schemas (to verify my guess) - the script responsible for that is called sampleSchema.sql, which calls in turn $ORACLE_HOME/demo/schema/mksample.sql - and that script has an EXIT command at the end. So, because sqlplus will be exited, the database creation has no chance to be completed ( the mksample.sql is not the last in the chain, some other scripts have to be run). The workaround is of course very simple - either you create your starter database without sample schemas and after that configure it with dbca and add sample schemas, or you can temporarily comment out the EXIT statement in the mksample.sql ( note, if you leave this script with commented EXIT statement, then you get another problem, namely by configuring database and add sample schemas will fail, to be precise, schemas will be created, but sqlplus session won't be leaved).

Best regards

Maxim Received on Thu Jan 29 2009 - 01:27:56 CST

Original text of this message