Re: renumbering the data in a column?

From: <mh_at_pixar.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:39:17 GMT

Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 4:00 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> > You may need to modify the code for your actual data, but it,
> > hopefully, gives you a push in the right direction.

Thanks David, just what I needed!

> Mark, David's plan is fine providing the sequence is not a PK or UK
> referenced by a FK constraint, but why do you need to re-number the
> sequence column? If the sequence field is a key then generated key
> values are arbitrary in nature and gaps should not matter. The reason
> I am asking has more to do with how the value will be handled going
> forward rather than the 'fix' being made.

Ah, I should have explained that part. It's part of our film processing system, the seq is actually a queue position. So it's an easy way to bump an emergency job to the front of the queue.

It's a PK, but processed items are deleted from the system so there's always a gap at the front..

Thanks!
Mark

--
Mark Harrison