Re: Dynamic SQL

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:43:05 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 5, 11:31 am, wrote:
> Hi,
> We're rewriting a lot of code in order to increase our hit count in
> the library cache.  One thing we are running into is where dynamic
> table names are used.  Here is a quick sample of what someone wrote::
> ------------------------
> PROCEDURE x (p_id_num NUMBER, p_code VARCHAR2) IS
>   SELECT column_name, table_name INTO v_column, v_table WHERE id_num =
> p_id_num;
>   v_select := 'BEGIN
>                    SELECT count(*) INTO :v_num_row FROM ' || v_table
> || ' WHERE ' || v_column || ' = :p_code;
>                    END';
>   EXECUTE IMMEDIATE v_select USING OUT p_id_num, p_code;
> .
> .
> END;
> Now, that is a piece of junk, but is what it is.  Can that statement
> be re-written to be dynamic SQL so it can be reused and kept in the
> cache?  The problem being that the FROM table may not be the same.  I
> figured with bind variables this would be possible.....

Depending on what purpose the routine serves it may not be worth worrying about such as if the routine was part of a DBA job to record all tables and the number of rows in each then since it would run once per day or less. In such a case it can go to the bottom of the list.

On the hand if the application makes heavy use of code like this then you can add a using clause to get some reuse when the same table is used but you probably need to revisit the design behind requiring such a routine.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jan 05 2009 - 11:43:05 CST

Original text of this message