Re: What's a quick simple way to test Oracle connectivity between client and database server?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:29:28 -0800 (PST)

Well, that sounds like a personal problem, as well as a personnel problem. Search for "decades of data" : http://ww.uniontrib.com/uniontrib/20070128/news_lz1n28newways.html http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/06/048208

> Besides, every person who answers my question I give acknowledgement too,
> and it becomes one more notch on the belt of someone looking for industry
> recognition.  And then there is the intrinsic value of helping someone.

Some people think usenet is dead.

> Unless, of course, you're someone who determines another's worth by some
> measure of "laziness".  You placed that label on me.  You do not know me.  I
> could be lazy.  Or I could be swamped with 20 projects at one time and do
> not have time to RTM.  Or I could be someone who volunteers at animal
> shelters full-time, or working on community projects, or helping the elderly
> or troubled juveniles.  All of these are activities, which may in fact,
> indirectly benefit you, if not the common good.  And as to top-posting, some
> people prefer it.  You don't have to scroll down to see the answer.  And if
> it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader default
> to top-posting?

Each newsgroup has its own norms, this group pretty strongly feels topposting =bad.

So, you are assuming that the default is always the best thing? You are assuming Outlook Express is a good product, aaaaayyyyyyy...

Some more info for newbies to the group: http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

> <sybra..._at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message

> > On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:24:04 -0500, "Spin" <S..._at_invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >>Thx Geoff.  This answers the subject question.  I will now open a new post
> >>on the topic, specific to my problem.
>
> > Please stop
> > - top posting
> > - flooding this forum with RTFM questions showing you are too lazy to
> > read the docs.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA