Re: Oracle Client 10g vs. Instant Client 10.2 (Windows XP)

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 04 Nov 2008 15:42:38 GMT

AMM <a_m_m51_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> But if the Oracle client is used to establish a connection via OCI
>> or JDBC or ODBC, it should work fine.

> As far as I know, the application just runs queries on our
> supplier's database and makes the results available in
> a particular format on a TCP port. It has fairly little dancing
> baloney, at least by Windows standards.

It would be helpful to know which API it uses to access Oracle.

>> Maybe the program also checks for Oracle registry keys or the ORACLE_HOME
>> environment variable, things that you do not have in a sound Instant Client
>> installation.

> I already set ORACLE_HOME to be the Instant Client install directory.

Normally ORACLE_HOME should *not* be set in an Instant Client installation.

If you are willing to try hard, you could install Process Monitor (http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessMonitor.zip) and trace which files and registry keys the program tries to read and write. There will probably be some Oracle related things that it cannot find. From that you could guess what it is trying to do.

> It was the "vendor" that told us to install Oracle Client. They
> may not even know what Instant Client is.

But they might know which API they used, or how they check if Oracle Client is installed.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Tue Nov 04 2008 - 09:42:38 CST

Original text of this message