Re: What's a quick simple way to test Oracle connectivity between client and database server?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:52:31 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 2, 11:11 pm, Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muld..._at_trap.gmail.com> wrote:
> Spin says...
>
> > "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote in message
> > On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S..._at_invalid.com> wrote:
> > Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name
>
> > The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
> > file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
> > responds with ping type information.
> > Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type
> > "service_name"?
>
> On your client machine - in the tnsnames.ora file - you must have an entry
> (or entries if you want the client to be able to connect to more than one
> server or instance) which "describes" your server/instance to the client.
>
> eg:
> my_first_database =
>   (DESCRIPTION =
>     (ADDRESS =
>       (PROTOCOL = TCP)
>       (HOST = myserver.whereveritis.com)
>       (PORT = 1521)
>     )
>     (CONNECT_DATA =
>       (SERVICE_NAME = whatever_the_dba_called_it)
>     )
>   )
>
> Yes, lower case entries in the above example are placeholders.  HOST can
> be be defined using a DNS-enabled name or an IP address.  PORT in my
> example is the usual default, SERVICE_NAME may or may not be a fully
> qualified name depending on the how your database administrator set up the
> server instance's listener.  Often the entry name (my_first_database) and
> the SERVICE_NAME (whatever_the_dba_called_it) are the same, but they need
> not be.
>
> Then from a command line prompt:
> tnsping my_first_database
>
> If the response is "OK" then the database instance is up, its listener is
> running, and your client installation should be able to connect to it with
> a valid username/password.
>
> Geoff M

Spin, if Geoff's example did not answer all your questions you can find all the information you need on tnsping and other network testing/ configuration utilities via the Net Services Administrator's Guide

For your specific questions
Ch 15 Establishing a Network and Testing the Connection

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/connect.htm#sthref1532

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Nov 04 2008 - 07:52:31 CST

Original text of this message