Re: Dynamic SQL to call a function with RETURN value?

From: gym dot scuba dot kennedy at gmail <kennedyii_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:49:37 GMT

"Thomas Olszewicki" <ThomasO_at_cpas.com> wrote in message news:a83a2f4f-00c2-4665-90c5-1fbacc3594b5_at_l62g2000hse.googlegroups.com... On Oct 27, 4:24 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 03:41:00 -0700 (PDT), mwmann <mwm..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I presume that Dynamic SQL is the way to go, but I have not been able
> >to get it right.
>
> Dynamic SQL is the correct method to develop an application which has
> 'DISASTER' inscribed all over it.
> Your description is very vague, and from what I get from it you seem
> to have re-invented a feature which already exists in PL/SQL, albeit
> in packages, called 'Overloading'
> You would need to present much more detail (as well as a database
> version) to find out why you have a desire to end on the electrical
> chair or to make the life of your potential customers miserable.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

>>Dynamic SQL is the correct method to develop an application which has
'DISASTER' inscribed all over it. <<

Could you point to Oracle documentation, where it lists Dynamic SQL limits?
Thx
Thomas
If you read the performance guide you will see you are forcing hard parses all over the place with this approuch. This severly limits scalability. In addition, dynamic sql is very difficult to debug. Jim Received on Tue Oct 28 2008 - 09:49:37 CDT

Original text of this message