Re: Oracle 9i replication

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 06:12:56 -0700 (PDT)

Comments embedded.

On Oct 23, 11:40 am, Ora_DBA <sanjaydharmadhik..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I need help with Oracle 9i replication. I have some experience with
> basic replication with read only snapshots in Oracle 8i.
>
> I have 2 master databases, Database A and B. Database C is a "slave"
> database.
>
> I need to replicate tables T1 and T2 from database A and tables T3 and
> T4 from database B into database C.

Then use Streams.

> Database C is going to host read only snapshots or materialized views
> of these 4 tables. These tables are in separate schemas.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is it possible to configure replication in this way?

Possibly, but it's outdated technology. Use Streams.

> 2. Oracle 9i documentation talks about multimaster replication and
> creating REPADMIN
>    and other accounts with some privileges. Is it necessary to do all
> that for the simple
>    scenario I described above?

For that, yes, but use Streams and you'll probably be happier.

> 3. Can I just create snapshot logs in database A, B and read-only
> materialized views in
>     database C ( the way Basic Replication works in Oracle 8i) ?

Why? Streams will replicate all of the data for all of the tables you want to copy, and you simply grant select-only access to them to the interested users.

> 4.  Do I neeed to create materialized view logs?

If you insist upon using materialized views and want fast refreshes, yes. And in 9i these are the same as the old snapshot logs of 8i lore.

> Any other information that might be relevant will be greatly
> appreciated. If someone can describe steps I need to execute to
> implement this type of replication, that would be a great help.

Use Streams. Use Streams. Use Streams.

> Thanks in Advance.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Oct 24 2008 - 08:12:56 CDT

Original text of this message