Re: order by question

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:34:05 +0200

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:34:51 -0700 (PDT), sbrkic_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>I have not been able to get a resultset which is unsorted acording to
>x.z but need to know that this would not happen in a productive
>environment.

By definition all SQL prodiuces a set. The set is always an *unordered* collection *by design*, because that is mathematical theory.
Ergo: Oracle does NOT guarantee any resultset is according to any order, when there is no order by clause in the top level of the query. It would be very silly to 'rely' on a specific ordering, and raises suspicions your 'productive environment' is not so productive, as it is processing a set as a bunch of records. Which it shouldn't as that wouldn't scale.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA