Re: ORA-01460 error

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 00:34:37 +0200

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:14:16 +0000 (UTC), Aya the Vampire Slayer <ryoko_at_gatech.rmv.this.part.edu> wrote:

>Then what's the point of anyone ever posting anything at all on the web
>about oracle, including this newsgroup? I see your point in that oracle
>can update their docs whenever things change, but that does not mean
>other sites are not valuable resources as well. Explain to me what is
>wrong with the information on the posted site, especially as it relates
>to this thread (this is rhetorical).

The URL you referred to is an *abstract* from the Oracle 7 docs. Oracle 7 was released in 1994.
The abstract was simplified, and it failed you to distinguish between native integers and non-native integers. As sqlloader files are often cross-platform, native integers do NOT occur at all (I have never seen them in almost 20 years of Oracle). As far as I recall the original docs stress this issue much more as this simplified version does.
The Oracle docs are often quite dense, and you need to read them very carefully. An abstract may omit crucial information. This abstract did, IMO.

--

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA