Re: PL/SQL: cursors and loops, hang issue

From: Aya the Vampire Slayer <ryoko_at_gatech.rmv.this.part.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:48:39 +0000 (UTC)

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wa:
>Sybrand is correct: Cursor loops are hopelessly obsolete and
>inefficient. For demos using array processing go to Morgan's
>Library at www.psoug.org and look up "Array Processing."

The BULK stuff I'm not really familiar with but it seems very interesting. I was actually planning to look into it soon since the newer project I'm working on is forcing me to use SQL embedded in the app in order to interact with the DB, and I noticed there was a BULK INSERT option with ODP.Net. In my experience, per-row transactions via ODP.Net are cripplingly slow, and have a ton of overhead and I really want to avoid that if possible.

However, that aside, I will see if I am allowed to make that change in these two recent stored procs (see my latest reply to Sybrand).

--
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to
be sticked by dusts and hand-fat." --Japanese Translators

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator