Re: Function 'myfunc' may not be used in SQL

From: Kevin S <SearleK_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 03:51:26 -0700 (PDT)

All,

Thank you for the responses to which I have the following comments.

To Aya the Vampire Slayer
Yes, decode would work but I want to create code which is easy to read and maintain and where the business rules can be encapsulated in their own modules.

To Sybrand
As soon as I left work I though about my posting and realised I had omitted the version which would no doubt have been helpful to those trying to respond. The Oracle version is 10.2.0.1.0. I did not realise pragma restrict_references is obsolete so I will check out the DETERMINISTIC keyword now. WRT Case and Decode, as mentioned above they don't allow business rules to be implemented in a modular fashion (rightly or wrongly, I am trying to follow the Feuerstein doctrines).

To Daniel
I am already referencing the function using the package_name.function_name format.

To Malcolm
The statement, I am calling the function from, is an update statement in a separate procedure in the same package.

Once again thank you for taking the time to look at this. I am not sure if the above points point to anything more concrete. In the meantime I shall check out the DETERMINISTIC keyword.

K Received on Wed Oct 08 2008 - 05:51:26 CDT

Original text of this message