Re: Accessing files copied by UTL_FILE.FCOPY

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:29:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 30, 10:43 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Mark D Powell wrote:
> > I have not used it but if you are on 10g+ look up the
> > dbms_file_transfer package which while added to Oracle to support
> > moving files into and out of ASM states it can copy from OS directory
> > to OS directory.
> > provides procedures to copy a binary file within a database or to
> > transfer a binary file between databases
>
> It works well but there is one caveat. Oracle dropped it from 11g so
> it is an orphan usable in only a single version of the database.
>
> I have used UTL_FILE with many different file types and can not
> think of any issues I have encountered that remind me of the OP's
> description.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

Daniel, I do not have 11g but the package entry does appear in my 11g PL/SQL Packages and Types manual so are you sure it was dropped.

Claus, here are some options

use external procedure feature to execute program that runs OS or application product commands to do the file copying

use the dbms_scheduler ability (10g+) to run OS shell scripts that will handle the file manipulation

use the dbms_alert package to signal from a trigger that a waiting program is to take action and process a file.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Sep 30 2008 - 15:29:30 CDT

Original text of this message