Re: Table charset

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:14:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 23, 10:51 am, "Álvaro G. Vicario" <alvaroNOSPAMTHA..._at_demogracia.com> wrote:
> I’ve learnt that setting an environmental variable called NLS_LANG in
> the client computer makes client apps send and receive data in the
> correct charset. I’ve also learned that I can query the NLS_%_PARAMETERS
> views to find out the charset of database, instance and session. But...
> Does Oracle 10g keep track of the charset in a per table or schema basis?
>
> I’m about to start a brand new PHP application with Oracle backend and I
> want to make sure that data does not get corrupted if someone else
> manipulates the tables but it seems all I can do is either change the
> settings for the whole server of change them for the current session.
>
> Sorry if it's a silly question but the Oracle documentation about the
> subject is overwhelming (including a 400+ pages Globalization Guide).
>
> --
> --http://alvaro.es- Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
> -- Mi sitio sobre programación web:http://bits.demogracia.com
> -- Mi web de humor al baño María:http://www.demogracia.com
> --

 Does Oracle 10g keep track of the charset in a per table or schema basis?
<<

No. All the data is stored based in the database character set and translated to the client character set and the reverse for input. There is no per table or per schema nls settings.

If a client submittes data that does not have a valid character set representation then Oracle translates the character to the default unknown character representation. Your application(s) should be written in such a way as to only allow valid data to be submitted.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Sep 23 2008 - 10:14:29 CDT

Original text of this message