Re: Rman configuration

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:31:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 28, 10:08 am, e..._at_chicagorsvp.com wrote:
> I'm really just curious.  when you define default parameters from
> within RMAN like we have below, does RMAN remember it?  Where does it
> store that info so that it remains persistent?
>
> We're thinking to use our control file rather than a recovery
> catalog.  We also want to know if we can code default parameters for
> Change Tracking File, Filesperset and/or Filesperpiece.
>
> We're setting up some new backup procedures and want to know if our
> setup is good.  We have a 80GB database & about 20 datafiles.
>
> ### Default, but coded for safety ###
> CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK;
>
> ### Keep backups for 14 days ###
> CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 14 DAYS;
>
> ### Backup control file at end of backup routine ###
> CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
>
> ### Naming convention for control file ###
> CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '/../
> cf_%F;
>
> ### Compress backupset and number of channels to allocate ###
> CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK BACKUP TYPE TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET
> PARALLELISM 10;
>
> ### Configures filename formatting ###
> CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u01/NI00/backup/ora_df%d_
> %s_%p';
>
> ### No limit to size of backup set ###
> CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED;
That stuff is in the control file, as you've surely seen in the docs. Also see the recent other threads about this, and some benefits may accrue from having smaller things to search through during a recovery.

Do an alter database backup controlfile to trace to see what is kept, and be aware all the other stuff in the controlfile won't be exposed with that, so be real sure you understand how to keep that information and what you can inform the controlfile about with RMAN commands.

There are version-specific issues, too.

I'd recommend the Hart & Freeman RMAN book, as well as a deep understanding of the backup docs.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080828/news_1b28bloat.html