Re: LIKE Question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:26:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 27, 5:11 am, Barry Bulsara <bbulsar..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 10:41 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:01:33 -0700 (PDT), Mtek <m..._at_mtekusa.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >Seems like your wonderful personality just follows you everywhere.  Go
> > >play in the middle of the expressway with the rest of your kind.
>
> > How come types like you, refusing to read, are always so experienced
> > in flaming away. Does it have to do with IQ?
> > Or are you an impersonation of 'Sideshow Bob' or 'Krusty the Clown'?
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> I am so grateful that I don't have to work with you or work with
> people like you Sybrand.
>
> A while back it was asked why activity in this group had dropped off
> so much over recent years.
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/about?h...
>
> The caustic and unfunny comments and insults from you Sybrand Bakker
> and you Daniel Morgan are the sole reason for this groups continuing
> demise.

I don't think that is it at all. Looking back on the high-volume points in that post, I see several posters that have gone on to host their own fora. Maybe that and google are the real reason. Not to mention all the other groups on google, and the newer wave of things I suppose Eddie Awad will be talking about those things http://awads.net/wp/2008/07/31/simple-tips-to-quickly-find-answers-to-your-oracle-related-questions-and-keep-your-oracle-skills-up-to-date/

> MTek I suggest you post your queries to oracle-l from now on. It is a
> mediated forum and the on-going poster vetting process immediately
> excludes social misfits and their antisocial comments. The crowd that
> lurk in oracle-l are there to help or seek help.

Oracle-l is a good resource, but it has issues, too. For example, some people don't realize that while they are free to proselytize religion and attempt to control behavior, others are free to be offended by it. And the mailing list paradigm doesn't exactly support thoughtful reasoned discourse, much more so even than usenet. So it _has_ to have worse netcops than here, you call it vetting, I call it too much moderation. Don't tell a joke, you might be kicked off! And they decided to make it like it is: http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/10-2005/msg01180.html

I say, don't be afraid of your freedom!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
“It was pretty eye-popping, some of the stuff we were seeing. We