Re: best way to "parameterize" a tablename?

From: <>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 00:13:31 GMT

gym dot scuba dot kennedy at gmail <> wrote:
> <> wrote in message
> >
> > if tablename = 'FOO'
> > insert into foo ...
> > else if tablename = 'BAR'
> > insert into bar ... (exact same stuff)
> > etc...
> >
> Use bind
> variables.)

I guess that's what I'm asking... how can I use bind variables or equivalent for the table name?

> You have an odd schema is each table has the same structure but a different
> name.

There's a reason for it, we basically don't want to intermingle one set of data with another. Think of the case where there's a million records of FOO and 100 records of BAR. An index won't be very useful, so you end up doing a lot of full table scans to extract the data, and we don't want to pay the big cost of FOO for the tiny data from BAR. The real case is a bit more complicated, but that's what it boils down to.

Mark Harrison
Pixar Animation Studios