Re: how to spool to C:\Documents and Settings\xzeng\My Documents?

From: Terry Dykstra <tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:39:19 GMT

"Malcolm Dew-Jones" <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message news:48ac9620$1_at_news.victoria.tc.ca...
> Terry Dykstra (tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca) wrote:
> : "Malcolm Dew-Jones" <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message
> : news:48aa0880$1_at_news.victoria.tc.ca...
> : > sasworks (xuzengpj_at_gmail.com) wrote:
> : > : I have no problem spooling files to directories like C:\myfolder.
> But
> : > : in Windows, I use "My Documents" folder alot and that directory name
> : > : has spaces in it. I tried the following:
> : >
> : > : Spool 'C:\Documents and Settings\xzeng\My Documents\myfile.txt'
> : >
> : > : And the SQL+ says "Spool unsucessful".
> : >
> : > : How do I spool the output to a directory whose name has spaces in
> : > : it???
> : >
> : > I know three things that work
> : >
> : > 1. In sqlplus (command line version) I start it from the command line
> from
> : > within the desired directory. Then I use the spool command without
> : > specifying the directory. The output goes into the current directory.
> : >
> : > DOS> cd Q:\this path\has spaces\in it\work
> : > DOS> sqlplus
> : >
> : > SQL> spool X (creates X.LST in the above directory)
> : >
> : > This also works for sqlplusw (the window version of sqlplus). I
> launch
> : > sqlplusw from the command line so this easily works for me, but if you
> : > want to open it with the mouse then you can probably set the current
> : > directory within a lnk file to make that work, though I haven't tested
> : > that.
> : >
> : >
> : > 2. In sqlplusw (window version) I use File::Spool to select the
> directory
> : > and attempt to create a spool file in that directory.
> : >
> : > The create fails, but the selected directory becomes the current
> directory
> : > (if it isn't already) and then you can spool the file without
> specifying
> : > the path, just like 1. above.
> : >
> : > 3. You can use the short path name which does not have spaces in the
> file
> : > name.
> : >
> : > DIR/X will show you short names, but you have to use it multiple times
> : > to find each short name in the path.
> : >
> : > If you start an old program like EDIT or DEBUG and NT will switch to
> using
> : > the 8.3 names, and then the path shown in CD or DIR and etc will show
> the
> [...]

Works for me:

/>connect atcordba_at_prod
Enter password: *******
Connected.
ATCORDBA/prod>spool "c:\documents and settings\test.lst" ATCORDBA/prod>select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE

20-AUG-08 ATCORDBA/prod>spool off

When I check that folder, the file has been created. Now trying to do an EDIT does fail:
ATCORDBA/prod>edit "c:\documents and settings\test.lst" SP2-0556: Invalid file name.
Unable to complete EDIT command

--
Terry Dykstra