Re: how to spool to C:\Documents and Settings\xzeng\My Documents?

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 18 Aug 2008 16:40:48 -0800

sasworks (xuzengpj_at_gmail.com) wrote:
: I have no problem spooling files to directories like C:\myfolder. But
: in Windows, I use "My Documents" folder alot and that directory name
: has spaces in it. I tried the following:

: Spool 'C:\Documents and Settings\xzeng\My Documents\myfile.txt'

: And the SQL+ says "Spool unsucessful".

: How do I spool the output to a directory whose name has spaces in
: it???

I know three things that work

  1. In sqlplus (command line version) I start it from the command line from within the desired directory. Then I use the spool command without specifying the directory. The output goes into the current directory.
	DOS> cd Q:\this path\has spaces\in it\work
	DOS> sqlplus

	SQL> spool X	(creates X.LST in the above directory)

This also works for sqlplusw (the window version of sqlplus). I launch sqlplusw from the command line so this easily works for me, but if you want to open it with the mouse then you can probably set the current directory within a lnk file to make that work, though I haven't tested that.

2. In sqlplusw (window version) I use File::Spool to select the directory and attempt to create a spool file in that directory.

The create fails, but the selected directory becomes the current directory (if it isn't already) and then you can spool the file without specifying the path, just like 1. above.

3. You can use the short path name which does not have spaces in the file name.

DIR/X will show you short names, but you have to use it multiple times to find each short name in the path.

If you start an old program like EDIT or DEBUG and NT will switch to using the 8.3 names, and then the path shown in CD or DIR and etc will show the complete path using 8.3 names only. There is probably a much better way to do this, but I don't do this often so running an old program is what I am able to remember when I need it. Received on Mon Aug 18 2008 - 19:40:48 CDT

Original text of this message