Re: SQL Server database link problem with varchar

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 23:19:25 +0200

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:11:04 -0700 (PDT), Oberdan Nunes <oberdannunes_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On 7 ago, 11:36, gazzag <gar..._at_jamms.org> wrote:
>> On 7 Aug, 14:53, Oberdan Nunes <oberdannu..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, someone could help me?
>> > I have a database link to a SQL Server 2005 that is used to insert
>> > data from
>> > Oracle to SQL Server Database.
>> > When I try to insert VARCHAR columns with more than 255 characters,
>> > the data
>> > is truncate in exactly 255 characters :(
>>
>> > What I'm doing wrong?
>> > Tks
>> > Oberdan
>>
>> What is the table definition on the target database?  Is the field in
>> question VARCHAR(255)?
>>
>> -g
>
>VARCHAR(4000)
>We made some tests on a version 10g and it worked fine, but non in the
>9i.

You are pretty scarce on details.
As the limit has been increased from 255 to 4000 either in Oracle7 or Oracle 8.0, one idea is your ODBC driver simply doesn't support varchar2's of 4000 bytes length.
This would be pretty sure if you are using the Mickeysoft ODBC driver, because Mickeysoft has always refused to implement any feature beyond Oracle7.3.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA