Triggers

From: <artmerar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:08:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

We have a table like this:

 CUSTOMER_ID
 PRODUCT_ID
 FORMAT
 STATUS
 DATE_ADDED
 DATE_MODIFIED We also have a history table like this:

CUSTOMER_ID
PRODUCT_ID
FORMAT
STATUS
SOURCE
DATE_ADDED We want to put a trigger on the first table such that when a record is inserted or updated it will make the entry to the history table. However, the problem is the 'SOURCE' column on the history table. It is not present or needed in the first table.

Entries into the first table are done through a PL/SQL program. So, what we want is that when the entry is made into the first table, it fires the trigger to make the second entry. But, how can this be done if the columns do not match?

We do not want to code it in the PL/SQL program because then someone can make an entry to the first table and we cannot record the history on it, yet the SOURCE column only gets populated in the PL/SQL program....

 Is there a way to do this? Received on Tue Aug 05 2008 - 11:08:00 CDT

Original text of this message