Re: NLS_LANG

From: Álvaro G. Vicario <alvaroNOSPAMTHANKS_at_demogracia.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:41:40 +0200

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl escribió:
>> SPANISH_SPAIN.WE8MSWIN1252 (the Windows codepage)
>> SPANISH_SPAIN.WE8ISO8859P1 (ISO-Latin-1, used in first site)
>> SPANISH_SPAIN.WE8ISO8859P15 (ISO-Latin-9, used in second site)
>>
>> From the "Oracle Database Globalization Support Guide" I understand
>> that NLS_LANG makes Oracle perform a charset conversion. Since both
>> sites use different charsets and I can convert in my PHP app when
>> necessary, I think it'd be a good idea that Oracle does not make any
>> conversion. But I don't know how to find out the charset that database
>> tables are using natively. How could I find out? Does all this make any
>> sense?

> You could find out by querying NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS.

A query to that table shows that NLS_CHARACTERSET is WE8ISO8859P1 so I'll work on that base.

> However, for Windows the default is MSWIN1252. > WE8ISO8859P1 does not contain the euro sign.

You are right (I've seen apps that use the currency symbol instead). Luckily it's not really an issue in web sites since you can always use the &euro; entity--I just need to know what charset the data is actually using.

Thank you very much.

--
-- http://alvaro.es - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
-- Mi sitio sobre programación web: http://bits.demogracia.com