Re: Field encryption in oracle table

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:14:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 18, 8:16 am, baadsha2..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> How can I encrypt a field in a Oracle table ( Oracle 8i) so that apart
> from any specific user it will show the encryted figure to the rest
> while browsing the table ?

I am not sure of any way you can deside to show a column to one user but not another on 8i. With 10g you could use VPD (FGAC). You might be able to use a paramaterized view referencing a global package variable but what you can do depends on your environment.

With Oracle 8i pull your Supplied Packages and Types manual and look at package DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT.

You should be able to articles on using this package via a web search.

Again I am not sure you will be able do do what you want or not.

You could define a view with the same name for each user you want to allow or restrict access to the column substituting NULL instead of the column for the no see set. This is really probably only practical if you have one of the two sets being very small in number.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jul 18 2008 - 12:14:24 CDT

Original text of this message