Re: Primary Keys and Valid_From / Valid_To

From: Hans Mayr <mayr1972_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 02:02:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the feed back. I picked up the valid_from / valid_to concept as I had seen it in many places and I was told that this was the way to do it. I never felt quite comfortable with it as I never really understood it. From your posts I understand that this concept is not as universally used as I was told, to the contrary. Yes, I will look into the concepts manual and I will not pick up concepts anymore which I do not really understand. I'll have to see if I will redesign the existing parts of my DB or work with triggers.

Frank's statement "Point to be made is the misconception of Oracle as an RDBMS." hit me. It is not an RDBMS? Any good links on that? Well I know that Oracle is more powerful than a simple RDBMS.

Thanks and best,

Hans Received on Wed Jun 25 2008 - 04:02:05 CDT

Original text of this message