Re: Primary Keys and Valid_From / Valid_To

From: Thomas Kellerer <FJIFALSDGVAF_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:15:23 +0200

Frank van Bortel wrote on 24.06.2008 22:21:
> Since when does any firm keep articles in different
> currencies? Check with your legal department - afaik,
> bookkeeping is done in the currency of the country
> where your firm resides.

I know at least one large computer manufacturer who manages prices in several currencies using quite sophisticated rules for converting (based on stord conversion rates) and rounding to get "nice" prices (e.g. 299€ instead of 287,43€ which would result from applying the conversion rate).

> Of course, you can do business in different currencies,
> but that means currency is not introduced before it hits
> the order, possibly order_line (which I doubt).

So you wouldn't display prices in a shop before the user hits the "Order now" button?

> Now, introduce discount and sale actions, valid only
> for a certain period. These are a nightmare, but hey.

Nightmare or not, this is *very* common when building shops or similar systems (B2B websites, procurement systems)

Thomas Received on Tue Jun 24 2008 - 16:15:23 CDT

Original text of this message