Re: ORA-00911 error and COMMIT

From: William Maslin <CATmaslin_at_cvm.msstate.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:20:00 -0500

In article
<bf92f83f-57a3-44d6-8897-2db3485d5543_at_m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,  Ken Denny <ken_at_kendenny.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 12:13 pm, William Maslin <CATmas..._at_cvm.msstate.edu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm been playing with using Filemaker Pro to generate and send sql to an
> > Oracle 10g database.  The following works fine:
> >
> > UPDATE BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY
> >
> > SET BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY.RESULT VALUE = 'A section of liver is
> > examined microscopically. '
> >
> > WHERE BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY.RESULT NAME = 'HISTOPATHOLOGY' AND
> >
> > BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY.ACCESSION ID = '30257' AND
> >
> > BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY.TEST CODE = '6005';
> >
> > But when I add a COMMIT to the end I get an ORA-00911 error.
> >
> > UPDATE BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY
> >
> > SET BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY.RESULT VALUE = 'A section of liver is
> > examined microscopically. '
> >
> > WHERE BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY.RESULT NAME = 'HISTOPATHOLOGY' AND
> >
> > BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY.ACCESSION ID = '30257' AND
> >
> > BEVIS DL TEST RESULTS ENTRY.TEST CODE = '6005';
> >
> > COMMIT;
> >
> > These statements are generated in Filemaker "calculation" fields in
> > which text and field values are concatenated to produce statements like
> > those above.  Please understand admit that I'm a complete Oracle and SQL
> > novice.  The little that I've learned has come from SQL Visual
> > Quickstart Guide and from hacking queries that I've stolen from Crystal
> > Reports.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> It could be that it's executing them in a single dynamic SQL command
> which should contain one command but it contains two. Try adding a
> "BEGIN" at the beginning and an "END;" at the end.

I tried your suggestion and now I'm getting an ORA-06550 error: line 1 column 6:
PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol ";" when expecting the following: begin case, declare, exit, goto... (etc.)

There's something about one of those semicolons that Oracle doesn't like. I think that the semicolon is the problem with the ORA-00911 error, too.

Thanks for your help! Received on Mon Jun 16 2008 - 18:20:00 CDT

Original text of this message