PHP and Oracle Client

From: Álvaro G. Vicario <alvaroNOSPAMTHANKS_at_demogracia.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:53:36 +0200

Scenario:

  • Windows Server 2003
  • Apache 2.2.8 (latest)
  • PHP 2.2.6 (latest)
  • Oracle 10g (remote machine)
  • Oracle Client 10g Express Edition

I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out why PHP would not connect to Oracle using OCI8 functions while ODBC functions and TOAD worked fine. I eventually launched Systernal's "Filemon" utility and found out that Apache (PHP runs as Apache module) was looking for a file called "ORAOCIEI10.DLL", which was nowhere on my hard disc. Desperate enough, I copied "oraocixe10.dll" as "oraociei10.dll" and, to my surprise, it all started working.

I fear that it'll break randomly the least expected day so I'd like to understand how/why this happens.

If "php_oci8.dll" is binded to an specific oracle client library, why is it version 10 and not something newer? If it's not, what makes it seek for this or that client DLL?

--
-- http://alvaro.es - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
-- Mi sitio sobre programación web: http://bits.demogracia.com