Re: Fetch table names from query

From: Shakespeare <>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:31:28 +0200

""Álvaro G. Vicario"" <> schreef in bericht news:g139q7$j7j$
> Dan Blum escribió:
>>> This is horrifying. Obsolete data is defined by an SLA with the customer
>>> not by whether it is accessed.
>> I think he means he wants to identify obsolete data in his results cache,
>> so he can refresh it from the database, not delete data from the
>> database.
> Er... Yes, that's it. I can't even understand what Morgan means. A results
> cache must not be such a bad idea if many major DBMS implement it in
> recent versions, including Oracle itself.
>> However, I agree that this is not a wonderful idea, as it is essentially
>> recreating Oracle functionality. If results caching is that critical,
>> I would suggest running 11g, which implements it.
> However, the database server runs 10g. If I tell the customer that in
> order to run an auxiliary web reports application they need to buy a
> licence for 11g, upgrade their server, check that all existing apps
> (functions, stored procedures, ERP, several custom Oracle Forms utilities,
> online orders web site, backup system...) do not break... I'd say they
> won't be amused.
> So I assume the only way to obtaining table names is explain plan :-? I
> guess I'll stick to my PHP-side solution by now.
> --
> -- - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
> -- Mi sitio sobre programación web:
> -- Mi web de humor al baño María:
> --

You could make life a little bit simpler by storing relevant tablenames in a table (!) and scanning your queries and cache for these names. Not 100% accurate, but it might help a little.

Shakespeare Received on Thu May 22 2008 - 03:31:28 CDT

Original text of this message