Re: Fetch table names from query

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:25:55 -0700

Álvaro G. Vicario wrote:
> Is there any simple way to extract the table names of a given SELECT
> query without actually running it?
>
> I've implemented a very simple results cache in my PHP application but
> I'd like to improve it. And one of the key points is finding out what
> tables a query reads from so I can handle obsolete data. Writing a
> reliable SQL parser in PHP looks like a hard task and obtaining a full
> explain plan from the Oracle server looks like an overkill.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you in advance,

This is horrifying. Obsolete data is defined by an SLA with the customer not by whether it is accessed.

For example I have organizations here in the US that are, by law, required to keep data online for 7 years. It hopefully will never be accessed. But on audit, if it isn't there, they are in a boatload of trouble.

This is a really bad idea, for many reasons, you should drop immediately. Leave managing the database to the database professionals. It is not something someone writing PHP should involve themselves in.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor