Re: Fetch table names from query

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:25:55 -0700

Álvaro G. Vicario wrote:
> Is there any simple way to extract the table names of a given SELECT
> query without actually running it?
> I've implemented a very simple results cache in my PHP application but
> I'd like to improve it. And one of the key points is finding out what
> tables a query reads from so I can handle obsolete data. Writing a
> reliable SQL parser in PHP looks like a hard task and obtaining a full
> explain plan from the Oracle server looks like an overkill.
> Any ideas?
> Thank you in advance,

This is horrifying. Obsolete data is defined by an SLA with the customer not by whether it is accessed.

For example I have organizations here in the US that are, by law, required to keep data online for 7 years. It hopefully will never be accessed. But on audit, if it isn't there, they are in a boatload of trouble.

This is a really bad idea, for many reasons, you should drop immediately. Leave managing the database to the database professionals. It is not something someone writing PHP should involve themselves in.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group