Re: Streams advice

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 11:25:11 +1000

Frank van Bortel says...
> Geoff Muldoon wrote:

> > I've read (and absorbed a fraction of) the Oracle Streams Replication
> > Administrator's Guide, and think that the configuration option that will
> > best suit our needs is "Asynchronous AutoLog archive" mode.
> >
> > Can any Streams-savvy people provide any general advice as to whether I'm
> > heading down the right or wrong path?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Geoff M
> What's wrong with table triggers (and obviously, database links)?

As stated, it's one of the main methodologies we currently use. There are particular issues here (to do amongst other thing with application vendor support, grrr) with that approach, which is one of the reasons we are looking at Streams.

> One stop further, materialized views - possibly with refresh on commit.

An option, but likely to face the same obstacles here as the triggers approach.

> Only then (two stops further, one stop extra would be
> Advanced Replication) comes Streams. There's quite a lot of
> overhead in Streams, so make sure you stress test (when going
> with Streams) in a production-like setup.

We are particularly looking at Asynchronous Change Data Capture because it "can be configured to have minimal performance impact on the source database", so I presume you refer to overheads at the staging database and overall server resource levels, rather than within the source databases. Maybe overheads of the subscriber databases too?

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated.

Geoff M Received on Mon May 19 2008 - 20:25:11 CDT

Original text of this message