Re: linked tables

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 07:22:29 -0700 (PDT)

On May 13, 5:39 pm, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks..._at_forestoil.ca> wrote:
> "Sashi" <small..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
> > Is there a way of linking in a table into a DB when the table resides
> > in another DB across a network?
>
> > For example, I have a DB, say myDB.
> > I'd like to be able to import data from a table in another DB, say
> > notMyDB.
> > These two DB's are hosted on different servers.
> > I see that the table is HUGE and importing the entire data into myDB
> > wastes a lot of space.
>
> > Is it possible for me to create a 'soft link (in unix terms)' to the
> > target table?
> > I'm using Oracle 9.2
>
> > Thanks,
> > Sashi
>
> Lookup CREATE DATABASE LINK command.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra- Hide quoted text -

You can find information on creating and using database links in distributed queries and on designing and using distribued queries in the DBA Administration Guide.

Other features that still carry the data duplication overhead but may be more effective from a query performance appoach in some cases are Replication and Materialized Views. But with Replication at least you can get Oracle to perform the second database load from the first rather than have to run two load jobs of the same data.

Terry's suggestion of distributed SQL is how I would start.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri May 16 2008 - 09:22:29 CDT

Original text of this message