Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

From: hpuxrac <>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 17:40:40 -0700 (PDT)

On May 9, 7:14 pm, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:

> > > But still, I'm not the only one who was excited about it and then
> > > disillusioned as it bloated, I'm not the only one who thinks Intel
> > > hardware sucks, and I'm not the only one who thinks there should be a
> > > fork specifically for db needs.  Do you not think these are legitimate
> > > advocacy issues?

> > Do you have something specific to backup the "Intel hardware sucks" line?
> I am pretty sure he must be referring to x86. His arguments sound like
> coming from the old RISC vs. CISC dichotomy era, which is long gone.

Hard to guess when Joel makes such a broad statement. ... he seems to be combining some thought about the size of the linux kernel and ancillary software getting larger combined with a shot against intel.

I did my best at my place to keep amd in the race but at the time of the purchase decision they just weren't a factor at that time. Things change and continue to change ... unless one gives a specific set of benchmark results at a point in time this just sounds "not so relevant" imho. Received on Fri May 09 2008 - 19:40:40 CDT

Original text of this message