Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

From: Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 19:37:35 -0400

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> On May 8, 12:39 pm, Ivan Marsh <ivanma..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> I love when "experts" are idiots.

> And I love it when idiots are "experts". :-)
>
> (sorry, it was too easy)
>
> Now seriously: A computer running Oracle is by definition a dedicated
> server. It needs a special kernel, among other things. You shouldn't
> run anything else on it.
>
> -Ramon

This may be true for Linux based systems but is not, AFAIK, the case for O/S's like OpenVMS, or Solaris. Yes, you do have set some memory allocation parameters to ensure that Oracle gets enough memory to run efficiently but that's not quite the same as a special kernel. For best performance, it helps to put Oracle on one machine and your application(s) on another but you certainly can run your application on the same machine; just be sure the machine has at least two CPU's and LOTS of RAM! It's probably a lot cheaper to run your applications on a second machine rather than beefing up one to do it all; Oracle charges for licenses based on the number of CPU's and they charge all the traffic will bear!! Received on Thu May 08 2008 - 18:37:35 CDT

Original text of this message