Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 14:01:58 -0700 (PDT)

On May 8, 12:45 pm, Cydrome Leader <prese..._at_MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
> In comp.unix.aix chrisv <chr..._at_nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > joel garry wrote:
>
> >>I've come to the opinion that linux as sold/supported is a toy OS
> >>running on toy hardware,
>
> > Yeah, that's why countless corporations and research organizations use
> > and depend on it.  Tell google that Linux is a "toy OS".
>
> google does run toy hardware. I've seen more than enough of it at
> datacenters.

And they screw things up, too. I've personally seen: usenet posts take 18 hours to get posted, and interrupted transactions (I'm talking about dollars, not usenet here) get committed rather than rolling back. And I've heard about a lot more, but I don't want to send this thread off on that tangent (you can, ahem, google plenty of stuff).

I think google is a real bad example of proving that cheapo hardware is in general a good thing. They have craploads of capital to throw at it, which doesn't imply efficiency at all. Whether it actually will work for google over the long run remains to be seen, but there is nothing to show that it is appropriate for others. Especially the part about having so much redundant hardware they have to build a special building with the cooling requirements of an old-style nuclear plant. And two identical searches _still_ may not give consistent results.

In the datacenters I've seen, which range from medium sized companies to large gummint, the Intel commodity crap comes and goes, Windows is forever being rebooted, and the real unices only go down for some dumbass  yanking the plug when they're not supposed to (or the rare rman job fragmenting I/O buffers and... oops, didn't mean to say that one out loud, either).

And I've seen a few places with linux/Oracle/RAC that just seem to have expectations way out in left field. Are they stupid or have they been oversold?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.csoonline.com/article/348317/What_a_Botnet_Looks_Like